Thursday’s need-to-know money news

BabyBoomersRetirementSavings_largeToday’s top story: What to do when you’ve reached retirement age and don’t have anything saved. Also in the news: Social Security taxes, learning from your tax filing mistakes, and how to get cash from transferring your retirement account.

You’re Retirement Age With Nothing Saved For Retirement. Now What?
Don’t panic.

For some Social Security taxes can really pile up
A refresher course in Social Security tax basics.

Learn From Your Tax Filing Mistakes
Get in better shape for 2016.

Get Paid Cash to Transfer Your Retirement Accounts
Look for accounts that offer cash bonuses.

Related Posts


  1. Liz, Is there anything wrong with using a financial planner/advisor that is only registered out-of-state? We have her ADV form and her SEC and FINRA reports do not show any problems and she is a fee-only advisor. We have already used her for a one-time financial plan “check up”, but are now considering whether using her for ongoing retirement and investment management makes sense being that she is only registered out of state.

    • Liz Weston says

      Probably not, unless you live in Florida or Texas, two states that require advisors be registered there.