Q&A: Finding free tax help

Dear Liz: You recently mentioned the AARP Foundation Tax-Aide Program as a resource for getting help with tax returns. I just want to point out that there are other, IRS-sponsored programs that provide free income tax assistance to the elderly and low-income taxpayers. These programs are Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and Tax Consulting for the Elderly (TCE). The site where I’ve volunteered for many years does approximately 2,000 tax returns each year. A mention in your column would be a great way to spread the word about this valuable service.

Answer: Consider it done. The IRS has a tool to find VITA and TCE resources using your ZIP Code.

Related Posts

  • “Mommy, are we rich?” My recent MSN column, "One way money is a lot like sex," has to do with the questions our kids sometimes ask--and how much discomfort we […]
  • Wednesday’s need-to-know money news Today's top story: How your vacation spending can help fund next year's trip. Also in the news: How much you'll really pay for that […]
  • Beware debt reduction offers Dear Liz: What is your opinion of debt reduction programs? I am constantly receiving mail from various companies, and I was wondering if […]
  • Wednesday’s need-to-know money news Today's top story: Unpacking the myths of investing in the stock market. Also in the news: A new episode of the Smart Money podcast on […]