Are you missing a W-2?

IRS 1040 Tax Form Being Filled OutAn incorrect W-2, or employer’s failure to send you a W-2 at all, doesn’t get you off the hook with the IRS–you’re still expected to file your tax return on time. Even if you file an extension, you’re required to estimate and pay what you owe by April 15.

The good news is that you can get the IRS on your side if your employer isn’t being responsive, according to the National Association of Enrolled Agents. “Letters from the IRS tend to get noticed, even if your similar entreaties have been ignored,” the organization of tax pros said in a recent press release.

The bad news is that you have to reach the IRS by phone at 800.829.1040, and that won’t be easy. The agency is expected to answer only about half its calls this tax season and wait times for those who get through may exceed 30 minutes. So you need patience, plus the following:

  • Your name, address, Social Security number and phone number;
  • Your employer’s name, address and phone number;
  • The dates you worked for the employer; and
  • An estimate of your wages and federal income tax withheld in 2014 (from your final pay stub).

The best days to call are Wednesday and Thursday. The call options are a little confusing, so here’s how to navigate them:

  1. Press 1 for English.
  2. Press 2 for help with personal taxes.
  3. Press 2 for help with filing a form.
  4. Press 3 to report a missing W-2.

If you’re missing other tax documents, such as a bank or mortgage interest statement, you may be able to get those from the financial institutions and other providers online.



Related Posts